June 6, 2012

Tristen

Today Jameson and I went to the park, and I made a new friend. His name is Tristen. He is 3 years old, but he told me proudly, "I'll be 4 in September!"
Children amaze me. Their joy, their openness, and the freedom they have to be themselves.
The reason I decided to play with my new friend tonight was because he was by himself with his grandpa, and I figured it'd be more fun for him if he had someone to play with. We were sitting by a hill and he began walking up the big stairs by himself. I said, "Can I climb up the stairs with you?" He replied without hesitation, "Sure!" And that's where our friendship began.
Why can't adults be that way? Why are we so judgmental before even knowing a person or have preconceived notions about what they'll be like? I know I'm not perfect at this either, but it's worth working on and admitting that it needs work.
Tristen and I would walk up the stairs and then roll down the hill in the grass. Over and over. He didn't get tired of it. Then we took turns chasing each other's shadows. After that, we worked together to "attack" Jameson.
And something about a child allows you to be free... to be yourself, without fearing judgment. There is an acceptance children offer. You can be yourself; you can be silly; you can let your imagination run wild; and you can be free.
When it was time to go, Tristen didn't want to leave. He fought with his "Papa." To help since I felt slightly responsible, I asked him to race me to the truck. Eventually my new friend said bye without a pouty face, but instead with a smile. He told me they go to the park every week and he wants us to play together a lot there.
One of my goals, or at least strives in life, is to pursue a childlike attitude and perspective. Always. I want to have joy unaffected by others' pessimism; imagination not hindered by the possibility of appearing foolish; innocence untouched despite a corrupt world; forgiveness without exceptions; and love for others that knows no bounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment