October 18, 2011

Our Weakness, His Power.

Paul writing:
...So to keep me from becoming proud, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from becoming proud. Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said, "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That's why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.          2 Corinthians 12:7-10 NLT
     Can you relate to Paul at all? Have you ever, even once in your life, asked God to take away something that was painful? It's the most natural response to something hurtful, uncomfortable, or painful: we want it gone, and we want it gone now. But, God didn't just grant Paul's wish and remove this thorn. Instead, He gave Paul a new perspective of it which was for His glory. 
     Let's be real. I don't know about others, but I know that the first thing that comes to mind when I have a "thorn in my flesh" isn't, "God, thank you for this weakness so you may be glorified!" It's usually, "God, why?", or "Will you please take this away?" And I'm ashamed to say, even after I may have realized my bad attitude towards a particular situation, I still can't say with confidence that I always search for a way to make God known in my weakness. It's a pride issue. No one wants to be weak. No one wants to be seen when they're feeling weak. And lately, God has been teaching me to let go of that pride I have in myself and instead boast in Him alone. 
     Another observation I wanted to point out is just how quickly Paul's attitude does change. The verse after God tells Paul that His grace is sufficient (v.9), Paul says he is now glad to boast in weaknesses. I am not that quick of a learner. When God is teaching me a lesson, it usually takes a long time for me to learn it with multiple situations to reinforce. But, I am thankful that with a searching and willing heart, God will continue to teach us and transform us. 


     This isn't very theological or in-depth, but I hope it is an encouragement to let God use your weakest moments for His power to shine. I want my attitude at my next moment of weakness to be, "God, please show your grace through this situation, and give me strength that only you can take credit for." After all, if He created us, any strength we have is from Him in the first place. So why are we boasting in anything but Him? 
 

3 comments:

  1. I love that idea that when we are weak, He is strong because there is no longer anything that can be in the way of His strength working in us. It's as if us being weak is actually to our advantage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent about 10 months with a major thorn in the flesh before finally getting it under control. I couldn't move very well, as my whole body ached. I slept a lot, and lost a lot of weight. Ultimately though, I think it gave me a much larger perspective on life and people.

    Seeing people hurt is an entirely different matter. Valuing people and "feeling" for them has become something completely different. Yes, I was sick, but more importantly, I'm better now, and there are sick people who have bigger issues.

    It's not always easier to keep the view, but it's there a lot, and it's something that I think about quite often. I think it probably made me a better person over having it been taken away easily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, you definitely have been blessed because of that. I am blessed for not having gone through something like that yet in my life, but you've been blessed now with being able to empathize with people.

    ReplyDelete